Tilly and the Buttons‘ Megan dress has been on my sewing list ever since I got my hands on Love at First Stitch.
And now I’ve finally finished my first version of it. I say first because I’m pretty sure there’ll be plenty more to come!
I decided to use some cotton jersey in blue chevrons (you can get it here) for the skirt part and a plain cotton jersey for the bodice. I had never sewn anything with jersey before so that was a new experience. Especially the plain jersey liked to roll up along the cut edges quite a bit, so I tried to sew those bits together as quickly as possible after cutting them out.
So here’s the finished result from the front:
And from the side:
(Due to current weather conditions I’m wearing a navy long sleeve top underneath.)
The pattern instructions were really clear and easy to follow. I didn’t make a toile for this; I just cut a straight size 4 after comparing my measurements to the sizing chart and final garment measurements. The only adjustment I made was to add 5cm to the length of the skirt because I’m taller than average.
I’m really pleased with the fit of the bodice, although the jersey is probably quite forgiving when it comes to fit, so it might need some adjustments if I make another one in a less stretchy fabric.
I was all ready to put my invisible zip in, when I thought: Hang on, the fabric, is quite stretchy, do I really need that zip? So I pinned the back together to see if I could get it on as it was, and hooray, I managed to get away without putting in a zip! So I just sewed the back together, hemmed it and that was that.
So if you’re put off by the invisible zip, I’d definitely recommend making the dress in a jersey fabric to avoid the zip.
I finished it at 7am on Thursday and then wore it work that day. I had lots of lovely comments from everyone at work but I still can’t decide whether or not I should take it in a bit at the side seams. It’s certainly wearable as it is and I’m sure it would still be comfortable after an extra helping of dessert, but it just feels a bit looser than most of my dresses. So I haven’t quite decided whether or not I should try taking it in maybe by just 1cm or so on each side seam. Or maybe I’ll leave this one as it is and try making the next one slightly narrower. I can’t decide. Maybe I just need to wear it for another day to make up my mind.
Either way I’m very pleased with my first Megan dress!